Hot summer is a good season for many fruit plants so gardeners get busy as the strong sunlight and adequate rainfall is prime growing conditions. However, if you live in an apartment or don’t have a big garden there is a world of indoor growing that allows you to grow in limited spaces. Today we are going to recommend an easy indoor grower plant the cherry tomato.
Cherry tomatoes are the easiest and most prolific tomato to grow even for a beginner. Their small sizes allow them to grow in a container, thus indoor growing is perfect for this species. When it comes to the benefits of eating cherry tomatoes, they are abundant in vitamin-C and can help with skin complexion. Just having a few of these vitaminC rich fruits can easily provide you with enough daily vitamin intake.
So what should you prepare if you decide to grow cherry tomatoes?
Cherry tomatoes are one of the easiest to plant and grow.
- First and foremost, you should buy some cherry tomato seeds. Then a tomato cage or mesh for the plant to climb and a pot to plant them in.
- Fill the pot up with planting soil and put the seeds bout 3mm deep into the soil and if you are planting more than one plant space about 60 cm from each other or use another pot.
- Place them in a location where it will receive the most sunlight during the day
- Keep watering and fanning daily
- After about 50-90 days fruit can be enjoyed.
Need artificial sunlight?
Artificial light if in the correct frequency can help plants grow and substitute for real sunlight, the more sunlight the more vitamin-C enriched the tomatoes become. The best frequency of light for tomatoes are a combination of 400-525 and 610-720nm light frequencies, combination led grow lights are an efficient way to grow in places with no real sunlight.
Advice Growing Tomatoes
Some useful tips and tricks that will greatly enhance your growing success rate,
TIP 1 : To encourage strong stems brush the leaves or put a fan on them for 5 mins every day, this stimulates wind and increases stem growth.
TIP 2 : It is better to water deeply once per day then to frequently water lightly. The root structure benefit from deep watering.
TIP 3: If you are using fertilizer use high nitrogen before they blossom and then switch to Potassium and Phosphorous after blossoming.